Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin both appear to be safe to use during pregnancy. However, many liquid cough medications that contain these ingredients also contain alcohol. You shouldn’t consume alcohol during pregnancy because it can cause birth defects.
Can you take Robitussin while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
Can Robitussin cause birth defects?
Effects of Dextromethorphan on a Fetus
Taking dextromethorphan as directed will not cause a fetus to have birth defects.
How much Robitussin is safe during pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant used in OTC medications such as Robitussin to reduce coughing. Cough suppressants can come in immediate-release and extended-release preparations. The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours.
What cough syrup is safe for pregnancy?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
14 сент. 2018 г.
Is Robitussin severe cough and sore throat safe during pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin both appear to be safe to use during pregnancy. However, many liquid cough medications that contain these ingredients also contain alcohol.
Which Robitussin to get pregnant?
Drinking Robitussin before you ovulate will make you more fertile. The theory is that guaifenesin, the expectorant ingredient in Robitussin, will help thin your cervical mucus in the same way it thins the mucus in your lungs, making it easier for the sperm to swim through your cervix and reach the egg.
Can Robitussin cause miscarriage?
Does taking dextromethorphan increase the chance of miscarriage? Miscarriage can occur in any pregnancy. Studies on women have not been done to see if taking dextromethorphan could increase the chance for a miscarriage.
What helps a cough while pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
5 авг. 2016 г.
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
11 июн. 2015 г.
Is Robitussin safe?
There are no serious side effects associated with the use of guaifenesin. As with any drug, there’s always the risk of an allergic reaction. You should not take any Robitussin product if you already know you’re allergic to guaifenesin.
Is Dayquil okay when pregnant?
You should not take NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu if you’re pregnant. Use of its active ingredient in early pregnancy may be linked with some birth defects. You should also talk to your doctor before using the liquid forms of NyQuil Cold & Flu and NyQuil Cough during pregnancy.
Can coughing hurt the baby while pregnant?
Does coughing during pregnancy harm the baby? Coughing during pregnancy doesn’t harm the baby, as it isn’t a dangerous symptom and the baby doesn’t feel it.
Is Honey safe during pregnancy?
Yes, it is safe to eat honey while you are pregnant. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists does not list honey in their recommended list of foods that pregnant women should avoid. There are two main reasons why it is safe for women to eat honey while they are pregnant.
Which painkiller is best in pregnancy?
- Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen, a nonsalicylate similar to aspirin in analgesic potency, has demonstrated efficacy and apparent safety at all stages of pregnancy in standard therapeutic doses. …
- Aspirin. …
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. …